My role: Information Architect
Tools: Optimal Workshop, Notion (for organizing my thoughts and task management)
Status: In Progress (does it ever really end?)
tl;dr version: I created this website using a basic template back in 2017 when I was originally applying to professor jobs. I never assessed the IA! Since I've added a lot of content over the years and my goals are different now, I wanted to assess whether the categories were intuitive to a wider variety of users. A series of open and closed card sorts revealed that most of my original categories matched users' expectations except for a couple of persistently-fuzzy options. As a result, I restructured the navigation menu to what you see now.
Next up is a tree test to see whether the newly-organized information is findable with some additional context (and to hopefully flesh out these fuzzy concepts).
My role: UX Writer, UX researcher
Tools: Figma, FigJam, Google Workspace, Zoom, Slack, GitHub
Status: In progress
tl;dr version: I'm on a multidisciplinary team working on a specific project called Access the Data. It's a two-part project focusing on improving data literacy for citizens who want to learn how to use open-source data to advocate for a cause. We are building a website for citizens to find resources on this (part 1) and workshops/modules to train them (part 2).
I entered the project nearly a year after it had started as its first UX writer. Most of my impact over the last few months has not been something I can screenshot or benchmark; as a UX writer, my role is much more than paring down and clarifying copy. Some of my other responsibilities include:
My role: UX Designer
Tools: Figma, FigJam, Google Workspace, Facebook, Optimal Workshop
Background: This is one of my heart projects. I've had my eye on this site for years, so I jumped head-first into this project back in February 2022. AZEBR is the Phoenix metro area's best-known parrot rescue, but its website's responsive design, information architecture, accessibility, and SEO are in dire need of attention. It's pretty clear that they used a basic website template (just like I did with this site!), but busy rescue managers don't have time to worry about little details!
Process: Although there were plenty of usability issues from the outset, I wanted to assess whether users were able to navigate the existing layout. I made a site map and started with a tree test.
Next actionable steps:
I could also conduct research to make user personas and journey maps. Although I have a pretty good idea of a couple continuous attributes (familiarity with rescue birds, volunteering experience), I need to discover how (and if) these variables interact with the ways in which users navigate the site.
Since optimization is critical for non-profits and small businesses, I would also like to assess the site's SEO in Google Search Console or (in a perfect world) Moz.
My role: User experience consultant
Status: In progress
tl;dr: Saeed contacted me back in April to arrange a usability audit for the NACC's outdated website. Since he is in Malawi, we arranged meetings at 10am my time, 7pm his time! Zoom was really spotty, so we decided to continue our communications via email. More info coming soon!